- PREP-TIME: 20 MINUTES / READY IN: 40 MINUTES
- MAKES 12 TOSTADAS
- Recipe provided by Forks Over Knives
Not just for muffins and cupcakes, muffin tins can help create a wide range of handheld dishes. In this delicious Mexican-inspired breakfast creation, a tortilla crown cradles a flavor-packed hash made with bell peppers, onion, sweet potato, and black beans. Be sure to top it off with fresh salsa and cilantro.
By Nancy Macklin, RDN, Nov 16, 2020
- ½ cup chopped green or red bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1½ cups cooked ½-inch cubes sweet potato
- ½ of a 15-oz. can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained (¾ cup)
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas, each cut into 6 wedges
- ¾ cup chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1¼ cups unsweetened, unflavored plant milk, such as almond, soy, cashew, or rice
- 1 cup refrigerated fresh salsa
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line twelve 2½-inch muffin cups with foil bake cups. In a medium skillet cook bell pepper and onion over medium 3 to 4 minutes or until just tender, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 tsp. at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Remove from heat and stir in sweet potato and black beans.
- Arrange six tortilla wedges in each prepared muffin cup with curved edges at bottom and points up. (Each should look like a crown.) Spoon about ¼ cup bean mixture into each cup. In a medium bowl stir together the next seven ingredients (through black pepper). Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Spoon about 2 Tbsp. batter over bean mixture in each cup.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is set. Carefully remove cups. Top with fresh salsa and cilantro (if desired), and serve immediately.