“Healthy Halloween” with Medjool Caramel Apples
Yields: 6 caramel apples
- 16 Medjool Dates – Cut in half, remove pits and then dice
- 4 tablespoons soy or almond milk
- 4 tablespoons Miyoko’s or other coconut/cashew butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons non-alcoholic vanilla flavoring
- A variety of local apples (good choices include granny smith, gala, honey-crisp or yellow-delicious)
- Caramel or candy apple skewer sticks
Optional ingredients to roll or coat apples with:
- Dark chocolate chips
- Coconut flakes
- Goji berries
- Ground almonds
- Sprinkelz organic confetti toppings
- Measure out ingredients listed above.
- Melt butter in a small pan. If using chocolate, melt it now in a small sauté pan on low heat or use a double boiler.
- While butter is melting, add prepared ingredients above (except for apples) into a food processor. Add melted butter and blend.
- To blend: pulse to break down the date pieces and then blend on high until mixture is thin and creamy. It should look like caramel.
- Insert skewer stick into each apple
- When caramel mixture is ready, use a spatula to coat a thin layer of caramel on each apple. Roll in peanuts or pecans, coconut, or granola and/or drizzle with chocolate or coat with chocolate and sprinkles.