- PREP-TIME: / READY IN: 1 HOUR, 5 MINUTES
- SERVES 4
- PRINT/SAVE RECIPE
This creamy, golden vegan gravy recipe takes just minutes to put together. Sometimes my boys eat just a bowl of mashed potatoes and gravy for a snack. For dinner, we serve this dish with sautéed broccolini or green beans. Hot tip: The gravy can be made ahead and refrigerated. It will thicken slightly more as it chills. To reheat, place in a saucepan, add a small amount of water, whisk to combine, and then heat slowly, stirring occasionally.
By Heather McDougall Jan 5, 2015
FOR THE CREAMY GOLDEN GRAVY
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE GARLIC MASHED POTATOES
- 4 large Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup unsweetened, unflavored plant milk
- Several twists of freshly ground white pepper
- Dash of sea salt
- To make the gravy, place all ingredients except the pepper in a small saucepan. Stir well to mix. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth and thick. Season with pepper to taste. Serve at once.
- To make the Garlic Mashed Potatoes, peel the potatoes and chop into chunks. Place in a stainless pan with water to cover.
- Add the whole garlic cloves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Drain.
- Mash in the pan, using electric beaters or a hand masher, adding the remaining ingredients as necessary to get a smooth consistency and a delicious flavor.