Recipe from Knives Over Forks
“It’s Just Another Meatless Monday! Whoa, Whoa”#PlantBasedNutritionForLife
Not sure what to do with the straggler ingredients in your pantry and freezer? Whip up this satisfying summer bowl for a nourishing meal that clears out space in your kitchen. Start by cooking up your favorite whole grain pasta and then grilling a bag of frozen veggies to infuse them with extra flavor. Grilling frozen vegetables is easy, but be sure to choose a mix with large chunks, like broccoli and cauliflower (or use fresh vegetables if you prefer). You can also use a grill pan on your stovetop if you don’t have a full BBQ. Once these main components are ready, all you have to do is toss in a can of chickpeas, slice some fresh tomatoes, and drizzle everything in a creamy homemade cashew sauce. To save on time, you can also skip making the sauce and instead thin out oil-free hummus with a few tablespoons of water until it reaches a saucy consistency. No matter how you doctor up this dish, you’ll end up with a delicious medley of nutrient-dense ingredients that will keep your rumbling tummy at bay!
By Darshana Thacker Wendel, Jul 10, 2023
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 4 cups dry whole wheat pasta, such as penne
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley, crushed
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups frozen vegetable medley, such as broccoli and cauliflower
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (1½ cups)
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Place cashews in a blender; add ⅔ cup hot water. Let soak 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Return pasta to pot.
- For sauce, add garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, and crushed red pepper to blender. Cover and blend until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and black pepper.
- Grill frozen vegetables over high 2 to 3 minutes. Carefully turn vegetables and cook 2 to 3 minutes more or until hot and crispy.
- Divide pasta, chickpeas, grilled vegetables, and tomatoes among bowls. Drizzle with cashew sauce.