Welcome to the hash brown casserole of your dreams. This ultra-savory breakfast bake is seasoned to perfection with a delicious blend of rosemary, garlic, and nutritional yeast, which combine to create an irresistible cheesy flavor. Roasted red bell peppers are stirred into the potato mixture to add a subtle sweetness to the casserole, while crumbled tempeh is sprinkled on top to make this dish extra hearty. Potatoes are super versatile, so you can easily modify this dish with other veggies and toppings to your liking. Be sure to prep this well in advance of your desired eating time, because it requires two rounds of baking before it’s ready to serve. Once it’s out of the oven, top with fresh scallions for a pop of color and oniony tang, and dig in!
By Darshana Thacker Wendel, Jan 25, 2023
- 1 cup unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 lb. potatoes, any variety, peeled
- 1 large jarred roasted red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup crumbled tempeh (optional)
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a small mixing bowl whisk together the first 10 ingredients (through black pepper). Shred potatoes, placing them in a large bowl of cold water as you shred. Rinse and drain potatoes, and spread them on a baking sheet lined with a clean kitchen towel. Pat potatoes dry with a second clean towel. Transfer potatoes to a very large mixing bowl; add roasted red pepper.
- Pour plant milk mixture over potato mixture; toss to coat evenly.
- Spoon potato mixture lightly into a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Don’t compact potatoes. (You want to maintain pockets of air so the potatoes don’t become a solid lump.) Sprinkle crumbled tempeh over top. Cover dish with foil. Bake 1 hour. Remove foil and bake an additional 30 minutes until potatoes are tender and crispy on top. Sprinkle with scallions. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve warm.
- Make-Ahead Instructions: To prep this dish ahead, bake the casserole for the first hour in Step 3, but skip the final 30-minute bake. Store the casserole in the refrigerator, and before serving, bake for 1 additional hour at 375°F.